[distcc] HOWTO rpm/rpmbuild + distcc + ccache?

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Oct 24 12:12:21 GMT 2002

On 24 Oct 2002, Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has "integrated" rpm/rpmbuild + distcc + ccache?
>
> I'd prefer not to alter all the .spec file in the existing rpms, if possible.
>
> I post here (distcc) because I successfully was able to get ccache to work with
> rpm without any changes to the .spec files.
>
> I did the following:
>
> % ln -s /usr/bin/ccache ~/bin/gcc
> % ln -s /usr/bin/ccache ~/bin/g++
> % ln -s /usr/bin/ccache ~/bin/i386-redhat-linux-g++
> % ln -s /usr/bin/ccache ~/bin/i386-redhat-linux-gcc
>
> Then I put ~/bin/ as the first element in my $PATH env variable.
>
> Is there something similar I can do with distcc?
>
> The documentation says it should be CC="ccache distcc", so the symlink trick
> doesn't work anymore.

The most practical solution is probably to create a tiny shell script
called "cc" in the appropriate directory at the start of your PATH,
with something like

  exec ccache distcc cc "$@"

The conversation on the list earlier about installing this way seemed
to show that getting implicit installation as cc to work properly
might be a bit hard.  I'm wondering whether it might be better to just
ship a little generator that makes C programs that do the same thing.
Something like

  # make-cc-wrapper /usr/local/bin/gcc ccache distcc gcc

and it will generate a little program that hardcodes the appropriate
names.   I don't think the extra overhead of one exec() will be too
bad.