[distcc] Distributing with SPARCworks 4.2 or Forte 6.1 Solaris compiler?

Hien D. Ngo hien at moses.xp.com
Fri Oct 18 21:34:00 GMT 2002

After getting past the missing 'popt' library, I was able to compile distcc on
Solaris.  I'm now trying to distribute compiles using SPARCworks 4.2 and Forte 6.1
on Solaris 2.6.  Is anyone using distcc + SW4 or SW6?

If there's a modular way of implementing support for other compilers outside of gcc,
I'd be game to do the work for these (broken) compilers.

BTW, I get the following error when trying to distribute as-is:

distcc[26907] ERROR: cpp on solmaster failed with exit code 1
distcc[26907] Notice: failed to distribute to "solhelper", running locally instead
cc: illegal suffix of output filename

If I just run the 'cc' command and use '-o somefile.ext' it complains about the same
thing if you don't specify 'somefile.o':

$  /usr/local/forte-6.1/bin/cc -g -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.    -E xtail.c -o foo.foo -c
cc: illegal suffix of output filename

There is a '-P' option which by default writes to 'filename.i', but you still can't
specify '-o' with anything other than 'somefilename.i'

So, the compiler really wants objects named '.o', pre-processed files '.i', etc.

Hien