[distcc] How to get libpopt for Solaris

Shane McDaniel shanem at ll.mit.edu
Fri Oct 18 13:23:59 GMT 2002

> Thankyou for putting this up.
>
> I think a better solution than reinventing popt is to include it in
> the source distribution, and use it if there is no system library.
> This is what rsync and samba do.  I'll try to copy that across in the
> near future.
>
> Also, please if you ever distribute a fork of a free project (even a
> small one), make sure to change the version number to indicate it's
> different.  Getting bug reports for something that claims to be 0.13
> but actually is not would be a waste of time for everybody.  The GNU
> GPL actually requires you to do this.
>
> --
> Martin

I thought I'd mention what I had to do to pull popt out of rsync and into
distcc to get distcc working on solaris

In addition to copying *.h and *.o from the rsync popt directory into the
distcc src directory and adding the .o's to the Makefile, I also had to
add -lresolv.  The "worst" part is that I kept getting an undefined symbol
W_EXITCODE.  WEXITSTATUS was fine though.  After simply not being able to
find where W_EXITCODE was defined etc. I removed the one call to it and
replaced it with the first paramater that was being passed to W_EXITCODE.

After that everything was fine, as far as I remember ;)

If this isn't clear enough and people actually want to know I can be more
verbose.  Just let me know.

Oh and thank you for distcc.  I have a Sunblade 100 on my desktop and it
takes 4 minutes to compile one project of mine.  Using 3 public Sunblade
1000's it now only takes 1 minute. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

One thing that would be nice, though I'm not sure   how feasible it would
be is if the "power" of the HOSTS was determined and then a projected
compile time was estimated for each job that needs to be done and the jobs
were distributed to reduce compile time.  If I include my desktop machine
and include a "bad" -j value I can take much longer on my compile because
my desktop machine was given a job when it would have been better to just
wait and give it to one of the faster machine. :)

-shane