[distcc] distcc and mpicc

Martin Pool martin.pool at hp.com
Thu Oct 17 01:02:00 GMT 2002

On 16 Oct 2002, Steve Litster <steve_litster at vpharm.com> wrote:
> I've built distcc using the mpicc/mpiCC compilers from mpich_1.2.4..8a
> under RedHat Linux 7.3

How does mpicc work?  Is it a whole new compiler, or a wrapper around
gcc?  If it's a wrapper, what does it do?

> When I use distcc in combination with mpicc for a distributed make, the
> job fires back a stack of error messges regarding sendfile failures and
> broken pipes.
>
> It appears as though it sends about half of the packets to the nodes and
> then fails.
>
> The log file makes mention of the mpiCC program failing on the server
> and exiting with exit code 100 (which could be anything).

Please post the verbose client and server log files for compiling one
representative file, so that I can try to see what's going wrong.

> Has anyone had any success using distcc with MPI.

Nobody has reported success yet but I also don't know of any reason
why it wouldn't work.

A: No.