[distcc] Solaris patch and popt replacement

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue Oct 15 06:45:00 GMT 2002

On 11 Oct 2002, Martin Åkesson <martin at placid.tv> wrote:

> Here is a patch to Makefile.in which is NOT working with Sun ONE
> Studio as it'smake does not recognize the -C switch.  On a side note

Hi,

Thanks for your patch.

I am ambivalent about supporting Makes other than GNU Make, because I
can't easily test on them.  However I don't see any harm in removing
unnecessary platform dependencies and I'll merge something like it.

> +       for s in src; do cd $$s; $(MAKE) all  || exit $$? ; done

It is far better to say

  cd $$s && $(MAKE) all

because otherwise if $s ever refers to a nonexistent directory the
failure can be extremely confusing.  In that particular case, it would
recurse until running out of processes.

> I have created a replacement for the popt lib that work on all
> platforms and distcc compiles nicely withit on both Solaris and Mac
> OSX.  If you are interested let me know and I will put it ona web
> page somewhere..  I'm sure more ppl that me are against installing
> popt lib onevery machine in the "compile-cluster".

Another option would be to include popt with distcc and statically
link it if it's not available on the system.  How does that compare to
your approach?

Regards,

Linux: The world's best text-adventure game.