[distcc] Rendering between multiple operating systems

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Oct 14 09:09:00 GMT 2002

On 12 Oct 2002, "George D. Plymale" <george at SouthernOhioComputerServices.com> wrote:
> I have a mixed network environment.  MacOS X, Linux, and Windows (with
> cygwin).  Seeing distcc really piqued my interest.  Using gcc on all of my
> environments, can I set up distcc to span across this variety of operating
> systems?
>
> Are there any instructions or tips on doing this, or is it
> straightforward?

It should be reasonably straightforward.  Of course you will need to
either install or build appropriate cross compilers for each machine.

For example, on each volunteer machine, build an x86-linux cross
compiler and (this is important) install it as "gcc-x86-linux-3.2" or
something similar, using the appropriate gcc configuration options to
set the name.  You also need to make a link to that name on the Linux
machine.

Then from Linux, run "distcc gcc-x86-linux-3.2".

Repeat as appropriate for every combination you want to use.

On Windows, you need to work inside the Cygwin (or maybe Mingw?)
environments.

> Any thoughts/ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Please, if you get it working (or not), write up a few paragraphs on
how you did it and any tricks you encountered, so that others can
benefit from your experience.