[distcc] GCC bootstraps

Alexandre Oliva oliva at lsd.ic.unicamp.br
Sat Oct 12 02:55:00 GMT 2002

On Oct 11, 2002, Brian Ford <ford at vss.fsi.com> wrote:

> Was there any resolution to the thread "[distcc] using distcc to speed
> up gcc bootstraps"?  I read through the archives and did not see the final
> decision with regard to the cpp pathname issue.

There isn't a final decision yet.  One of the maintainers of the
preprocessor in GCC is adamant that preprocessing involves losing
information, and even though I have changes that prove otherwise, they
actually preserve more information than what the integrated
preprocessor passes to the front end, so we end up with different
debugging information either way.

The solution I've been using so far is to force distcc to not use
localhost in gcc bootstraps, by means of a distcc wrapper that
transforms localhost to `uname -n` in $DISTCC_HOSTS.  I'm not happy
about it, but I haven't had more time to spend trying to get the
integrated preprocessor and the separate one to agree on the same
debugging information.