[distcc] windows client

Aaron Lehmann aaronl at vitelus.com
Mon Sep 30 15:36:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 02:06:38PM +0300, Amir Tal wrote:
> hi,
>
> can distcc be used on windows ?
> i have 3 machines running debian linux here, and it works very well. i would
> like to also use distcc on an additional windows mahine (as a vollonteer
> machine)

Hi,

I've done this out of curiosity. I needed to patch distcc to
accomodate the huge PID numbers that cygwin uses. This patch appears
to have been applied in recent versions.

You may run into significant efficiency problems. cygwin is slooow, at
least it was for me. fork times are huge. I bet vmware would be much
faster. The ideal solution would be a native win32 port of distcc that
could be built using mingw32 and use a cross compiler built with
mingw32. I'm not touching this because I have nothing to gain from
such work and I naturally despise said OS...