[distcc] Re: libc5 support / gcc names (was Re: distcc 0.9, [patch])

Richard Zidlicky rz at linux-m68k.org
Sat Sep 14 12:30:00 GMT 2002

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 06:41:45PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:

> > Regarding Documentation:
> > The use of 'gcc -V' and similar is nowadays discouraged.
>
> Discouraged by who?  Is that the official recommendation of the gcc
> team?

that was my understanding of the manuals last time I read it.
If you need different releases of the compiler coexisting use
the --program-suffix=rel configure option. If you have xcompilers
for various machines use $arch-$os-gcc to cpecify full compiler
name (plus name suffix where appropriate).

> Anyhow, that's fine with me.  The next version of distcc will have a
> $DISTCC_CC environment variable so that you can tell it what to use
> for

very good solution, is there a $DISTCC_CXX etc as well?

> > Crosscompiling or compiling in a mixed environment is best done
> > by specifying the full compiler name, eg m68k-linux-gcc. This
> > always works regardless whether it is native or crosscompiler.
>
> The main problem with that approach is that those names are not
> consistently present across machines.  For example, the most fully
> specified name available for Debian's gcc 3.1 on my machine is
> "gcc-3.1", not "gcc-3.1-x86".  (Perhaps I should file a bug?)  Also I
> seem to recall seeing the arch and version values in different orders.

x86 is a difficult case because I never know if I am supposed to use
i386,x86 or whatever :(
Other than that there should be at least one of these *86-linux-gcc,
if not file a bug report to Debian.

> > With gcc-3.2 it is also essential to use same version of binutils
> > on all machines.
>
> Could you elaborate so that I can add an FAQ or manual entry?

gcc-3.2 uses some new features of recent binutils (details are are a bit
beyound me) which don't work well when combined with output from earlier
binutils. Typical symptoms is linker complaining about overlapping sections
which happens most often when compiled with '-g'.

Richard