[distcc] .include in .s files (was Re: distcc 0.9, [patch])

Alexandre Oliva oliva at lsd.ic.unicamp.br
Thu Sep 12 16:51:01 GMT 2002

On Sep 12, 2002, Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org> wrote:

> Speaking of good interface design, I have to say I admire gas's
> comment syntax:

>     Anything from the "line comment" character to the next newline is
>     considered a comment and is ignored.  The line comment character

> I realize there are historical reasons but it's still amusing.

Not only historical.  It's not gas that determines that assembler
syntax.  It rather follows the practice established by architecture
developer, sometimes even attempting to be compatible with other
assemblers that target the same architecture.  Even when full
compatibility is not possible, sometimes characters used for comments
on one architecture have different syntactical roles in another.
Unless gas chose to break some assemblers, it couldn't pick a single
comment character.