[distcc] Re: Re: re: distributed compiler cache

Joerg Beyer j.beyer at web.de
Thu Sep 12 11:35:00 GMT 2002

MartinPool <mbp at samba.org> schrieb am 12.09.02 13:19:42:
> On 12 Sep 2002, Joerg Beyer <j.beyer at web.de> wrote:
> > > In that case you might as well just use
> > >
> > >   CC='ccache distcc'
> >
> > but you have to wrap it into a (shell) script if you use it with
> > autoconf projects.
>
> That would be a good thing to fix up.  I don't think it requires a
> rewrite.

> > > No, I don't think there's any race there.  Where do you think it is?
> >
> > I am not sure, but looking at util.c:safe_open(), what is used in many
> > places, e.g. stats.c: write_stats() . These calls are not locked at all,
> > right? Is it save?
>
> It looks to me like in every case where that function is called, it is
> followed by a call to lock_fd().

is that enough? It at least leave a small window between open() and
the ioctl() for a race condition. I dont what to be academic but...

Martin, in your private mail from 8/31/2002 you indicated that
using ccache by multiple users on the same machine at the same
time with unhappy timing will lead to problems. Do you think it is
okay to use ccache as describe by a group of developers?

    Joerg

ps: have you seen, that the current issue (october 2002) of the german magazine iX
compares IncrediBuild, Teambuilder and distcc?