[distcc] Re: distcc 0.9, [patch]

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Sep 12 04:27:00 GMT 2002

On 11 Sep 2002, Richard Zidlicky <rz at linux-m68k.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > There is a problem with distcc and assemblers: they can
> > include files on their own for example with the '.include'
> > directive, possibly more. It would be probably safer to
> > do assembling of '.S' files (as opposed to gcc generated
> > '.s' files) localy.
>
> I have added a patch for this.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I didn't know about '.include'.

As far as I can see, gas accepts .include lines in both .S and .s
files.  The case of the extension seems to just control whether gcc
feeds the file to cpp, which will have no effect on '.include' lines.
Therefore presumably distcc should do neither .s nor .S remotely?

It would probably be strange to have somebody write a .S file which
had both #include and .include lines in it, but I suppose it might
happen.

For C or C++ files, distcc runs both the compiler and the assembler
remotely, so .s files generated internally by gcc need not worry us.