Different problem (Re: [distcc] Problems with distcc hanging on large compiles (Patch not effective))

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Aug 29 15:59:01 GMT 2002

On 29 Aug 2002, "Hien D. Ngo" <hien at moses.xp.com> wrote:

> I removed the RH 6 machines from my DISTCC_HOSTS and am just using all RH 7.2 and
> 7.3 boxes now.  I'm getting a different error.  The compile process stopped
> responding with 'netstat' reporting established connections.  I then attached the
> debugger, got a more reasonable backtrace, then detached.  At which point, things
> started running again (attaching/detaching with the debugger unfroze
> the compile.)

Thanks for that.  I really need to see the netstat and backtrace on
both the client and server though.

You might try commenting out HAVE_SENDFILE in config.h after
configuring, then doing "make clean all", in case there's a bug either
in RedHat's sendfile or in distcc.

Attaching the debugger probably interrupts the sendfile() system call.
distcc (in CVS, not in 0.8) will cope with this and restart it.  I am
not sure why transmission would hang in sendfile unless there was
something wrong on the other machine, which is why I need to see its
backtrace.

Are the two machines in question on the same ethernet hub, or is there
a firewall or something between them?

Thanks,