[distcc] Problems with distcc hanging on large compiles (Problem almost solved)

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Tue Aug 27 18:10:00 GMT 2002

On 27 Aug 2002, "Hien D. Ngo" <hien at moses.xp.com> wrote:

> I spoke a little too soon.  Still getting intermittent hang ups with distcc
> compiling our in-house code.  Compiling the linux kernel ad infinitum works
> flawlessly.  It looks like the place where I get hung up is fairly consistent.
> though.  distcc gets stuck after compiling a very large file.  The library being
> built is 20+ MB, the in-memory footprint is in the 200+ MB range (uses heavy C++
> template instantiation.)
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  Let me know if I can provide any
> additional info.

Hm, basically you need to start by setting DISTCC_VERBOSE on the
client and -v on the server, and look in the server's log file to see
what it has to say for itself.  If there's nothing obvious there,
please use gdb to attach to both the client and server, and post the
output of "backtrace full" to the list.

This debate is about more than choosing a method of developing software.
	-- Microsoft Corporation, FAQ Regarding Shared Source