[distcc] using distcc to speed up gcc bootstraps

Neil Booth neil at daikokuya.co.uk
Sun Aug 25 06:57:00 GMT 2002

Alexandre Oliva wrote:-

> > cc1 should be doing the preprocessed output.  Currently it's in
> > cppmain.c, but it should be moved to a "c-" file in the front end.
> > This is all part of the work to make cpplib a proper library.
> > If cc1 is doing the preprocessed output, it's easy for it to dump
> > whatever it wants in there.
>
> The problem is not just about dumping, it's also about initializing
> properly when reading back.

I know; this was hard to fix when we went to integrated CPP (and
the reason for a lot of my toplev.c and langhooks work).

To clean up the cpplib / front end interface further, I was continuing
to work on this but I was stopped on Aug 15th with the freeze.

Note that the difficulty is caused by wanting to get debug info right
for .i files; nothing else introduces such nasty dependences on
initialization ordering.  I'm far from convinced that earlier versions
of GCC had it as correct as 3.x does.

Neil.