[distcc] using distcc to speed up gcc bootstraps

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Fri Aug 23 23:06:00 GMT 2002

On Aug 24, 2002, Neil Booth <neil at daikokuya.co.uk> wrote:

> Alexandre Oliva wrote:-
>> But how does it tell that it's time to emit the <directory> directive?

> I'm not sure, but if we do this it might be better to keep all the info
> on the first line, so it contains the original file name and the
> original current directory.  I'm not keen on having more # lines.

How do you know what is the current directory and what is the original
file name?  Are you suggesting more than one string or something like
that?  *That* would be backward-incompatible, which is something I've
tried to avoid.

> Why did your patch remove the gettext calls on the pseudo file names?

Because other parts of the compiler compare source filenames with
<built-in>, so those strings shouldn't be subject to translation.
Also, you wouldn't want them to be handled differently if you get a
file preprocessed with another language enabled, would you?

My stance is that preprocessed files are not user-readable content,
but rather another form of source code.