[distcc] Problems with distcc hanging on large compiles

Hien D. Ngo hien at moses.xp.com
Fri Aug 16 07:33:01 GMT 2002

First off, have to say that this is a fantastic piece of software.

When I've gotten a complete run through without hanging up, my compiles sped up by a
factor of 2-3x.  I'll publish concrete numbers when everything is fixed up.

Here's my environment/problem:

* Compiling on mixed Redhat Linux environment running 2.2.x and 2.4.x (all with gcc-
2.95.2 compiler).
* Machines range from dual P3 850's to dual P3 1.4 Ghz (6 machines total in my test
bed.)
* Very large C/C++ codebase.
* Compiling with 'make -j15'  Average of 3-4 compiles concurrent per machine.
* Network is 100Mbs/full duplex, though machines are on lots of different segments.

Here's the log entries I get in my /var/log/messages on all machines:

Aug 16 11:02:46 foobar distccd[32644]: (dcc_readx) CRITICAL! unexpected eof on fd5
Aug 16 11:02:46 foobar distccd[32644]: (dcc_expect_token) ERROR: read failed while
waiting for token "DOTI"
Aug 16 11:08:06 foobar
Aug 16 11:08:06 foobar syslogd: Cannot glue message parts together
Aug 16 11:08:17 foobar distccd[1314]: (dcc_readx) CRITICAL! unexpected eof on fd5
Aug 16 11:08:17 foobar distccd[1314]: (dcc_expect_token) ERROR: read failed while
waiting for token "DOTI"

I also usually have several defunct distccd processes on each of my servers.  When
the compile hangs, the last bit of output that I see tends to be "Leaving
directory ..." so I presume it's likely a problem with the socket close/cleanup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Hien