[distcc] Re: Merging ccache & distcc

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Sun Aug 4 17:20:02 GMT 2002

On  4 Aug 2002, Hendrik Visage <hvisage at envisage.co.za> wrote:

> Hi Andrew/Martin
>
> Something came up to me lately why ccache & distcc
> doesn't merge ? I initially thought they are written by the
> same person, (The .samba.org sub domains) but tonight found that it's
> two seperate people.

Hi Hendrik

You will get basically the same behaviour if you just chain them with
CC='ccache distcc gcc'.  It is almost as efficient as putting them in
the same program, and has the advantage of allowing them to more
easily be tested and debugged separately.

I'm not enormously opposed to merging them, but I guess two small
programs is arguably a cleaner solution than one bigger one.