[distcc] Re: distributed compilation with gcc: distcc

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Aug 1 05:29:02 GMT 2002

On 22 Jul 2002, Aldy Hernandez <aldyh at redhat.com> wrote:

> > The biggest dependency on the clients is that they must have a version
> > of gcc that is "sufficiently reasonable" to compile the preprocessed
>
> hmm, this is fine [most of the time] for building gcc because this
> only affects the first stage build.   but that's the point of my other
> post-- we'd all probably be delighted to use this, if it could handle
> parallelizing the other stages.
>
> in which case, you're going to have to design a mechanism to use the
> recently built compiler to rebuild itself, target libraries, and
> other languages (c++, java, etc).  (see my previous email)

Java's model for this kind of thing is obvious very different from C.
I think you could probably do something broadly similar to distcc, but
the details would be quite different, and it perhaps should be a
separate program.  I don't use Java much these days so I probably will
not do it any time soon.