[distcc] statistics question

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Sun Jul 14 22:58:03 GMT 2002

On 15 Jul 2002, Stephan Stapel <stephan.stapel at web.de> wrote:
> > I know it would be nice if there were clearer statistics and a
> > graphical monitor.  I'll get around to it when I can.
>
> hmm.... just wanted to volunteer for the graphical client in my previous
> message (if _I_ find time for that though :-))= ). So if there's a point to
> hook in, I would be happy if you told me!

I think I would like to do it by having distcc write messages out when
it starts or completes an operation, so that it is not bound to a
particular GUI.  Those messages could go either to a regular file, or
to a local socket, or perhaps to a directory with one file per
process.

The simplest way would be to just read the log file; that's quite
possible in 0.6.

The monitor should periodically check for new messages and display any
that have occurred.

This will only tell you about your own jobs, not about the state of
remote machines.  I think monitoring everything would make it more
complicated than I would like, but perhaps there is a simple way to do
it.

I would strongly prefer the client be written in C or Python, or
failing that C++.  I don't care a lot about Qt vs GTK+.