[distcc] CVS version of distcc doesn't compile

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Jun 17 16:21:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Martin Pool wrote:

> On 18 Jun 2002, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all.
> >
> > I've downloaded the cvs version of distcc, and it doesn't compile...
>
>   http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html#respect
>
> Please give some useful information, hey?

Hey, I just figured it was a file missing from CVS... Therefore the error
messages didn't strike me as relevant.

The errors for the missing Makefile.am (which I see is now added in the
CVS repository):

[root at localhost cvs.samba.org]# cd distcc/
[root at localhost distcc]# ls
aclocal.m4    config.sub    CVS           Makefile.am    OLDNEWS    web
aoss2002      configure     cvs2cl.ufile  Makefile.in    packaging
AUTHORS       configure.ac  doc           man            patches
autogen.sh    contrib       INSTALL       missing        pyunit
ChangeLog     COPYING       install-sh    mkinstalldirs  README
config.guess  COPYING.FDL   linuxdoc      NEWS           src
[root at localhost distcc]#
[root at localhost distcc]#
[root at localhost distcc]#
[root at localhost distcc]# less README
[root at localhost distcc]# cd ..
[root at localhost cvs.samba.org]# ls
3dttt       dosreg         lasker            pam_smbpass  rsync         socklib
amanda      ethereal-smb2  librsync          picturebook  rsyncweb      test
build_farm  evacs          mail_scripts      pidl         rzip          tivo
ccache      fakecd         mgraph            pinpoint     samba         ubench
cifsvfs     gnokii         mod_ntlm_winbind  podfuk-smb   sambaold      wbench
cliffs      hg             n4                ppp          samba-python  weblist
dbench      jCIFS          netfilter         projlist     samba-unit
depmaker    jitterbug      newuserfs         pserver      sambaweb
dirdiff     junkcode       pam_ntdom         rpc_book     satyr
distcc      KnightCap      pam_smb           rproxy       scrolly
[root at localhost cvs.samba.org]# man popt
Formatting page, please wait...
[root at localhost cvs.samba.org]# cd distcc/
[root at localhost distcc]# ls
aclocal.m4    config.sub    CVS           Makefile.am    OLDNEWS    web
aoss2002      configure     cvs2cl.ufile  Makefile.in    packaging
AUTHORS       configure.ac  doc           man            patches
autogen.sh    contrib       INSTALL       missing        pyunit
ChangeLog     COPYING       install-sh    mkinstalldirs  README
config.guess  COPYING.FDL   linuxdoc      NEWS           src
[root at localhost distcc]#
[root at localhost distcc]#
[root at localhost distcc]#
[root at localhost distcc]# ./configure
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
configure: Adding gcc options: -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align
checking for strerror in -lcposix... no
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yeschecking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking sys/sendfile.h usability... yes
checking sys/sendfile.h presence... yes
checking for sys/sendfile.h... yes
checking sys/signal.h usability... yes
checking sys/signal.h presence... yes
checking for sys/signal.h... yes
checking for in_port_t... yes
checking for sendfile... yes
checking for setsid... yes
checking for flock... yes
checking for lockf... yes
checking for vararg macro support... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating linuxdoc/Makefile
config.status: error: cannot find input file: linuxdoc/Makefile.in

> I don't have or need a "depcomp" file on Linux with automake 1.4-p5
> and autoconf 2.50.

Hmmm, interesting. Having grabbed a new copy from CVS, and having upgraded
autoconf and automake, it all works now... Sorry to have distracted you.

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com)     UMT+10hrs