[distcc] SMP volounteers + compression

Marko Mikulicic marko at seul.org
Sat Jun 8 16:21:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

First, I want to say that distcc it's a very nice stuff.
I did something similar (makeitdisturbed, an anagram of "distributed
make"), using ssh to spawn jobs. But it was required that the volouteers
mounted the filesystem, and have the same libs. I think, if one relly
needed this and could have complete admin on the machines could better
use openmosix.
  I like your solution (I was too lazy).
If I understood well, distcc does lock the volouteer until it the job
it is running is completed. I think it should be important to add some
kind of queuing, to please SMP volounteers, and to improve "pipelining"
even on UP machines. I thought of something like DISTCC_HOSTS="a b:2 c
d:4 e:2" where the number after the colon is the queue depth for a given
volounteer, which defaults to 1.

  In addition, I was wondering if compression the preprocessed stream
could help improving performances, expecially when there are many
volounteers. The compression should be chosen doing a tradeoff between
compress ratio and processing needs. (not gzip)

  What do you think ?

Marko Mikulicic