[cifs-protocol] [EXTERNAL] [MS-DTYP] meaning of sign and base and range in conditional ACE integers - TrackingID#2212220040005997

Douglas Bagnall douglas.bagnall at catalyst.net.nz
Sat Jan 14 02:03:00 UTC 2023

hi Kristian,

yeah, those are pretty much the issues.

One thing about the example:

>> 0x04 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0x02 0x02
>> This takes a 64-bit positive '1' and negates it with the 0x02 sign byte.

Actually, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF is already -1 in twos complement, so the 0x02
doesn't negate the sign, rather it seems to confirm it.

I wonder is if this is for display purposes also. Supposing it had 0x03
("hex") for base and 0x01 ("positive") for sign, this might be displayed
as 0xFFF..., while if it had 0x2 for sign, it would be displayed as
-0x000000000001.

In this interpretation, the maths is not affected, and 0x03 for sign ("no
sign") would just mean display it conventionally.

I note that example 2 in 2.4.4.17.9 uses a 64 bit value with "decimal" and
"no sign" for a value written as "1" in the SDDL. There seems to be no way
in SDDL to indicate the bit size of a literal integer. This answers the
question I had about round-trips from ACE to SDDL to ACE: no, they won't
always end up at the same ACE if the SDDL forgets the integer bit size.
Maybe SDDL -> ACE -> SDDL is still on.

cheers,
Douglas