[cifs-protocol] [EXTERNAL] What is AES256-CTS-HMAC-SHA1-96-SK - TrackingID#2211100040001759

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 16 20:07:27 UTC 2022

Yes.  We also just confirmed (in different words) the below which we
determined experimentally.  From Joseph:
> I think I now have the Windows enctype behaviour worked out, and
> Samba matching it.
> The ticket is encrypted with the strongest enctype for which the
> server explicitly declares support, falling back to RC4 if the server
> has no declared supported encryption types. The enctype of the
> session key is the first enctype listed in the request that the
> server supports, taking the AES-SK bit as an indication of support
> for both AES types.
> If none of the enctypes in the request are supported by the target
> server, implicitly or explicitly, return ETYPE_NOSUPP.

Therefore: that if an insecure encryption algorithm is used, you must
always use a secure algorithm for session keys instead
Appears to be incorrect (sadly, as this would aid in establishing
policy).
Andrew Bartlett

Solutions