[cifs-protocol] [EXTERNAL] What is AES256-CTS-HMAC-SHA1-96-SK - TrackingID#2211100040001759

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Nov 10 23:17:09 UTC 2022

Thanks.
So, what I understand is this:
 - A KDC will always select the strongest key to encrypt the ticket
based on the keys held at the server, permitted by msDS-
SupportedEncryptionTypes and understood by this KDC (ticket key) - The
client has no ability to influence this key, so as long as the password
is regularly rotated and the msDS-SupportedEncryptionType is up to
date, then AES256-CTS-HMAC-SHA1-96 encrypted tickets are always
issued. - The server however may not have rotated it's password, nor
updated msDS-SupportedEncryptionTypes  since it was in a FL 2003
domain - Even if it does rotate it's password, it may not be storing an
AES key in a keytab, so AES256-CTS-HMAC-SHA1-96 can't be arbitarily set
in msDS-SupportedEncryptionTypes as that would change the ticket key
 - Most Kerberos software these days, no matter which keys were shared,
supports AES256-CTS-HMAC-SHA1-96 session keys - Clients can influence
the session key type, as they must understand it for interopability.
 They could select a weak or problematic encryption type (eg 3DES in
Samba recently) - Servers could previously influence the session key
type by the msDS-SupportedEncryptionType but we don't want to use that
as above - Therefore this value indicates that regardless, AES256-CTS-
HMAC-SHA1-96 is the mandatory session key type, arcfour-hmac-md5 (or
3DES, in our case) session keys should never be used.
Is this correct?
Is there anything I've missed?

Solutions