[cifs-protocol] [EXTERNAL] [MS-DNSP] sticky static dns updates - TrackingID#2106070040005009

Jeff McCashland jeffm at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 29 20:06:55 UTC 2021

Hi Douglas,

I've been able to confirm that when a static record is added to a dnsNode, new records are added as static. This is done so that when a record is manually marked as static by an admin, refreshes don't over-ride the static state. This is tied to whether aging is turned on or off in the zone, which has been a feature of DNS since WS 2008. You can query the zone's aging property using the "Get-DnsServerZoneAging” powershell cmdlet.

I can also confirm that when a record gets its timestamp refreshed, all of the dynamic records in the dnsNode are refreshed. DNS has always worked this way.

Best regards,
Jeff McCashland | Senior Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team
Phone: +1 (425) 703-8300 x38300 | Hours: 9am-5pm | Time zone: (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Local country phone number found here: http://support.microsoft.com/globalenglish | Extension 1138300
We value your feedback.  My manager is Natesha Morrison (namorri), +1 (704) 430-4292