[cifs-protocol] Remote pwd change when "must change at next logon" is set? - TrackingID#2104090040000113

Fri Apr 9 05:45:06 UTC 2021

Hi Obaid,

a colleague of mine has a Windows 2019 terminal server. For licensing
reasons, this Windows 2019 machine is not a domain member, and that is
fine for us. The fact that this is a terminal server from my point of
view should be irrelevant, it could be just a standalone non-domain
file server.

He created local accounts for all team members that need it with
initial passwords that the team members must change at their first
logon.

The question is -- how can we remotely change the initial password? We
(Samba) modeled our remote password change on the network after what
he Windows password change dialogue does, which does not work in
this case.

The Windows password change dialogue can be reached by pressing
ctrl-alt-del on a Windows machine (not the server in question). There
you get an option to change a password. If you then enter
'server-ip-address\username' into the username field of the password
change dialogue, enter old and new passwords, a Windows client
normally changes a remote samr password. The trace I sent is a sniff
of this dialogue coming from a Windows 2012 client machine, but
Windows 2019 as a client behaves exactly the same. The smbpasswd
utility we ship with Samba also does the same, and it fails exactly
the same way.

I've contacted dochelp because I think it's a protocol question:
Changing a remote sam password for a user with MUST_CHANGE on a
Windows 2019 machine should be a scenario covered by the Microsoft
Protocol suite I guess, but I could not find hints how to do this in
the docs.

Thanks,

Volker