[cifs-protocol] [EXTERNAL] Re: Clarification on expected behavior with SMB2 short reads/writes. [120051422002815]

Obaid Farooqi obaidf at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 2 19:55:51 UTC 2020

Hi Jeremy:
All you said is spot on.

Regards,
Obaid Farooqi
Escalatiion Engineer | Microsoft

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 1:51 PM
To: Obaid Farooqi <obaidf at microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Clarification on expected behavior with SMB2 short reads/writes. [120051422002815]

On Tue, Jun 02, 2020 at 06:40:51PM +0000, Obaid Farooqi wrote:
> Hi Jeremy:
> Windows redirector neither dictates the number of bytes read nor it checks for returned bytes. It is not a bug on redirector. Redirector's behavior is clearly documented in the MS-SMB2.

Hmmm. So the redirector behavior is being driven directly by the COPY command here then ?

Not being able to see the source code for COPY, I wonder if it is using the CopyFile API here, in which case it may be an issue in the way the CopyFile API is driving the redirector.

Either way, not checking read returns is a bug, whoever is (not) doing it :-).