[cifs-protocol] [REG:119021519670367] Active Directory schema partition containing non-schema objects

Edgar Olougouna edgaro at microsoft.com
Mon Feb 25 22:39:58 UTC 2019

Garming,

Upon investigation, I will file a document bug and ask for a processing rule be updated in MS-ADTS.
I have confirmed in the source code that it is “by design” that only true schema updates can occur under the schema container. Effectively the FSMO schema master must only allow class or attribute schema objects in the schema NC. Otherwise, any incumbent Add/Modify/Delete for a non-schema object on the schema NC should trigger an error:
unwillingToPerform / ERROR_DS_CANT_CREATE_UNDER_SCHEMA.

This error is already listed in MS-ERREF.
0x0000213E
ERROR_DS_CANT_CREATE_UNDER_SCHEMA	An object of this class cannot be created under the schema container. You can only create Attribute-Schema and Class-Schema objects under the schema container.

Thanks,
Edgar