[cifs-protocol] [REG:117102016529426] SMB2 File Rename

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Thu Nov 2 21:12:44 UTC 2017

On Friday, 27 October 2017 21:10:22 CET Sreekanth Nadendla wrote:
> Hello Andreas, Windows SMB1 clients use SMB_COM_RENAME as Uri Simchoni
> mentioned below. I'm confirming that part.

> Perhaps your samba 'smbclient' test used the same as Uri pointed out and
> that's why it worked. If that’s the case, we aren't comparing
> apples-apples. i.e. it would not be a problem at all as we've already
> documented about canonicalizing '..'

> If you think in your SMB v1, command "rename README ..\dir2\README" resulted
> in FILE_RENAME_INFORMATION_TYPE_1 with FileName containing '..', please
> collect the trace and send me for review. Otherwise we can resolve this
> incident.

You can resolve the incident. We missed '2.1.5.1 Dot Directory Names' in MS-
FSCC:

The pathname components of "." (single period) and ".." (two periods) are
reserved as dot directory names.
Except where explicitly permitted, a pathname component that is a dot
directory name MUST NOT be sent over the wire.

Thanks,

	Andreas

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: CC014E3D
Samba Team                             asn at samba.org
www.samba.org