[cifs-protocol] 117060815865307 Question about DRS client behaviour with linked attributes

Tim Beale timbeale at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Jun 26 21:00:13 UTC 2017

Hi Sreekanth,

Thanks for your reply.

How does this relate to where ProcessLinkValue() is called, in
particular the setting of the DRS_GET_TGT flag? i.e. the block near the
end of 4.1.10.6.1:

if (ulResult = ERROR_DS_DRA_MISSING_PARENT) then
    Send IDL_DRSGetNCChanges message again with the same input
    parameters specified in msgIn but this time with msgIn.ulFlags
    containing DRS_GET_ANC field set. It is an error for this
    condition to occur if (DRS_GET_ANC in msgIn.ulFlags) is true
else if (ulResult = ERROR_DS_DRA_RECYCLED_TARGET) then
    Send IDL_DRSGetNCChanges message again with the same input
    parameters specified in the msgIn but this time with msgIn.ulMoreFlags
    containing DRS_GET_TGT field set.

The documentation here talks about the ERROR_DS_DRA_RECYCLED_TARGET
error, but not ERROR_DS_INVALID_ATTRIBUTE_SYNTAX error. But in
ProcessLinkValue(), we're hitting the case where the target object is
unknown/missing. The amended documentation would imply that in the case
where the target object is missing/unknown (as opposed to
deleted/recycled), then we fail the replication (instead of retrying
with DRS_GET_TGT set).

In my testing with Windows I have seen cases where the Windows DC will
send a linked attribute with an unknown target object (that hasn't been
deleted/recycled at all). Resending the GetNCChanges request with the
DRS_GET_TGT flag set will fix this problem. Am I misunderstanding how
the protocol works? I was expecting the documentation to look more like:

if (targetObject = null or
    (IsRecycleBinEnabled() and targetObject!isRecycled) or
    (not IsRecycleBinEnabled() and targetObject!isDeleted)) then
    if (DRS_GET_TGT in ulMoreFlags) then
        /* nothing to do */
        return 0
    else