[cifs-protocol] [MS-ADTS] 6.1.1.2.2.2.1 Subnet Object address range [REG:116011913603795]

Jeff McCashland jeffm at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 27 20:14:02 UTC 2016

Hi Douglas,

I believe that agrees with RFC 5952, which is referenced by [MS-ADTS] (updated per the previous issue) to define the canonical format.

5.  Text Representation of Special Addresses
   Addresses such as IPv4-Mapped IPv6 addresses, ISATAP [RFC5214], and
   IPv4-translatable addresses [ADDR-FORMAT] have IPv4 addresses
   embedded in the low-order 32 bits of the address.  These addresses
   have a special representation that may mix hexadecimal and dot
   decimal notations.  The decimal notation may be used only for the
   last 32 bits of the address.  For these addresses, mixed notation is
   RECOMMENDED if the following condition is met: the address can be
   distinguished as having IPv4 addresses embedded in the lower 32 bits
   solely from the address field through the use of a well-known prefix.
   Such prefixes are defined in [RFC4291] and [RFC2765] at the time of
   this writing.  If it is known by some external method that a given
   prefix is used to embed IPv4, it MAY be represented as mixed
   notation.  Tools that provide options to specify prefixes that are
   (or are not) to be represented as mixed notation may be useful.

The address range you're referring to falls in this category:
" mixed notation is
   RECOMMENDED if the following condition is met: the address can be
   distinguished as having IPv4 addresses embedded in the lower 32 bits
   solely from the address field through the use of a well-known prefix."

So it is appropriate to use mixed notation with the well-known prefix 0:0:0:0:0:FFFF.

Does that answer the question?

If not, could you let me know what tool you're using and the steps for creating subnets over LDAP? I'm not sure how to do that.

Best regards,
Jeff McCashland | Senior Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team
Phone: +1 (425) 703-8300 x38300 | Hours: 9am-5pm | Time zone: (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Local country phone number found here: http://support.microsoft.com/globalenglish | Extension 1138300
We value your feedback.  My manager is Nam Su Kang (nkang), +1 (980) 776-7499