[cifs-protocol] [REG:116022413751567 ] Response to SVHDX_OPEN_DEVICE_CONTEXT[_V2] when shared VHDX is not supported

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Feb 25 21:50:19 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 08:54:56PM +0000, Bryan Burgin wrote:

> However, per the spec, we believe that you should be either
> supporting the context (and RSVD) or failing the Create.

Hang on, the errata now says:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn785067.aspx

2015/12/11
In section 3.3.5.9 Receiving an SMB2 CREATE Request, the first paragraph under Create Context Validation has been changed.
Changed from:
The server SHOULD<247> fail any request having a create context not specified in section 2.2.13.2 with a STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER error.
<247> Section 3.3.5.9: Windows Vista SP1, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012 ignore create contexts having a NameLength greater than 4 and ignore create contexts with a length of 4 that are not specified in section 2.2.13.2.
Changed to:
The server MUST fail create contexts having a NameLength less than 4 with a STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER error.

That doesn't say anything about supporting a specific
context - just return STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER if
NameLength < 4 - which we already do.

As far as I can see we are correctly implementing
the spec.

Jeremy.