[cifs-protocol] Response to SVHDX_OPEN_DEVICE_CONTEXT[_V2] when shared VHDX is not supported

Bryan Burgin bburgin at microsoft.com
Wed Feb 24 21:30:36 UTC 2016

Hi Uri,

We created SR 116022413751567 to track this issue.

Yes, there seems to be a disconnect in [MS-SMB2] 3.3.5.9.14 "Handling the SVHDX_OPEN_DEVICE_CONTEXT Create Context" where we say that you should return STATUS_INVALID_DEVICE_REQUEST if you recognize that the device context is SVHDX_OPEN_DEVICE_CONTEXT ("0x9CCBCF9E04C1E643980E158DA1F6EC83") but don't support RSVD on one hand but you should ignore the context if you don't recognize what the context is on the other.

I'll research this for you.

Logically, we know that the Windows backup feature will add this context to a Create and that backup will fail unless the create succeeds.  Thus, if you properly recognize the context name but don't support RSVD you shouldn't be at a disadvantage compared to not knowing what the context is at all.  I'll help clarify the disconnect in the specification.

Bryan