[cifs-protocol] [REG:115030312463820] Windows behavior re '0x80070057 the parameter is incorrect'

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Mar 23 18:06:13 MDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 01:10:31AM +0000, Bryan Burgin wrote:
> Hi Andrew.
>
> I know you're out of the office hiking around.  We hope you had a wonderful time (assuming you're reading this in a few weeks).
>
> We worked out what is causing this.  We are sending a [MS-SRVS] NetShareGetInfo packet for Level 502 information.  In the response, we're receiving a SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR that has a NULL Owner SID (OffsetOwner).
>
> We can argue if that's permissible or not.  In [MS-DTYP] 2.4.6 SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR it discusses: "OffsetOwner (4 bytes): An unsigned 32-bit integer that specifies the offset to the SID. This SID specifies the owner of the object to which the security descriptor is associated. This must be a valid offset if the OD flag is not set. If this field is set to zero, the OwnerSid field MUST not be present."
>
> Thus, if the OD flag (Owner Defaulted: "Set when the owner was established by default means") is cleared (not set) then the Owner SID must be valid, and NULL is not valid.  That notwithstanding, as for this user interface, it doesn't recognize a NULL Owner SID event even if the OD flag is set.
>
> We are pursuing a fix for this in Windows 8.1/2012R2 and for Windows 10 (in the user-mode code that is behind this user request).  But, I'm holding off on requesting a fix for Windows 8/2012 unless we have a strong business justification to do so.  This can also be mitigated in Samba code by supplying the Owner SID in level 502 queries.
>
> Bryan

Thanks Bryan, that's an interesting one. If an owner
wasn't stored in the share security descriptor db when
it was created/set, then we'll not return one on get.
Or if the share was created by smb.conf, and not
separately created then we'll return a 'default'
security descriptor that doesn't contain an owner.

I'll see if I can create a Samba patch you can
test for this.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.