[cifs-protocol] [REG:115021012380586] Timer events in MS-BKRP - when should we roll over keys?

Edgar Olougouna edgaro at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 20 14:12:52 MDT 2015

Andrew,
In Windows implementation, the preferred key GUID is stored along with the expiration date as a structure of {GUID; FILETIME} in a file “Preferred” under
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Protect\%UserSID%
For example, C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Protect\S-1-5-21-1972584655-1140703441-473452811-500\
This is used during any DPAPI call CryptProtectData() or CryptUnprotectData().

Thanks,
Edgar