[cifs-protocol] [REG:115030312463847] Re: [MS-KILE] "View effective Access - Parameter is incorrect" -- Issue re TGS-REQ (S4U2Self)

Obaid Farooqi obaidf at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 13 16:31:27 MDT 2015

Hi Andrew:
So at least I know why Windows client when using Windows DC does not use S4U2Self.
Windows client tries to use MS-RAA (Remote Authorization API Protocol) to get the authorization data when you try to calculate the effective access. In case of a Windows DC, the service is available and call succeeds. No need to use S4U2Self.

In case of Samba domain, the Samba DC responds with 0x16c9a0d6 to the end point mapper request, which means there is no MS-RAA implemented on Samba DC. This causes the client to create a local resource manager instead of remote resource manager (MS-RAA section "1.3 Overview"). This causes the client to use S4U2Self to get the authorization data.

I am looking into your question as to why sname is user's name in TGS for S4U2Self.

Regards,
Obaid Farooqi
Escalation Engineer | Microsoft

Exceeding your expectations is my highest priority.  If you would like to provide feedback on your case you may contact my manager at nkang at Microsoft dot com