[cifs-protocol] [REG:115030312463847] Re: [MS-KILE] "View effective Access - Parameter is incorrect" -- Issue re TGS-REQ (S4U2Self)

Obaid Farooqi obaidf at microsoft.com
Wed Mar 11 14:48:49 MDT 2015

Hi Andrew:
Using Samba DC (version 4.1.6-Ubuntu) and Windows 8.1 client I was able to reproduced the situation where windows client sends a S4U2Self TGS request to Samba and Samba responds with KRB5KDC_ERR_POLICY.
It happens when I check the effective access for a user, same as logged in or another does not matter. But  error in the windows explorer is
"You don't have permission to evaluate effective access rights for the remote resource. Contact the administrator of the target server"
I also see the S4U2Self TGS request for that user, as mentioned above.

If I logged in as Administrator and query the effective access for "Administrators" group, then I get the error in the explorer that you reported, i.e.
"Code 0x80070057 The parameter is incorrect"

When using a windows domain I do not see the S4U2Self message go out from client although I see other network traffic that could be due to the policy since I used a coprnet share to test this. I'll do it on my internal Windows domain to see if I get the same error and/or S4U2Self goes out.

Looking at the code, the use of S4U2Self is expected. I need to dig more on Windows-to-Windows scenario.
So, it bowl down to what do we want to get out of this protocol wise. The bug about "Code 0x80070057 The parameter is incorrect" is already in place and platform people are working on it.
As I understand, you want to know if Samba should be returning an error or should it return the authorization info in response to S4U2Self TGS request. Right?

Regards,
Obaid Farooqi
Escalation Engineer | Microsoft

Exceeding your expectations is my highest priority.  If you would like to provide feedback on your case you may contact my manager at nkang at Microsoft dot com