[cifs-protocol] [REG:115070612914524] What is FILE_ACTION_REMOVED_BY_DELETE? MS-FSCC 2.4.42

Mon Jul 20 05:05:14 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 08:10:46PM +0000, Edgar Olougouna wrote:
> Volker,
>
> Per the NTFS source code and confirmation with file system team, the FILE_ACTION_REMOVED_BY_DELETE is posted for a notification whenever we delete the object ID attribute from a file and remove that object ID from the index. In this case we do not post a change to the USN journal.
>
> FILE_ACTION_REMOVED is used for other cases, as documented in MS-FSA (such as when a file is deleted).
>
> Let's me know whether this answers your question. I have logged a technical document bug on MS-FSA.

Well, kindof yes.

This means that for example on ReFS this is never generated,
because ReFS does not implement object IDs?

I'll probably have to wait for the next iteration of
[MS-FSA], but I'm curious about the server actions that
trigger this.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de