[cifs-protocol] 114121712176508 MS-KILE Behaviour for client principal name in service tickets

Sreekanth Nadendla srenaden at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 16 13:47:28 MST 2015

Hello Andrew,
In my new test environment, I have Ubuntu 14.10 server added to MS Windows domain with heimdal client installed.

My default realm is 379135DOM.LAB
sAMAccountName  is Administrator
userPrinciplaName is  admin at 379135DOM.lab

Test Results are as follows

1) kinit administrator
klist shows administrator at 379135DOM.LAB

2) kinit --enterprise admin at 379135DOM.LAB
klist shows Administrator at 379135DOM.LAB

3) kinit Administrator
klist shows Administrator at 379135DOM.LAB

4) kinit ADMINISTRATOR
klist shows ADMINISTRATOR at 379135DOM.LAB

5) kinit --enterprise administrator
klist shows Administrator

6) kinit --enterprise ADMINISTRATOR
klist shows Administrator at 379135DOM.LAB

So far these results are identical to what you've seen in your environment.

= = === ==================

Now as for your test case 7 below, you've mentioned that you've set the userPrinciplaName to admin at win2012r2.abartlet.wgtn.cat-it.co.nz .
So the realm was win2k12.abartlet.wgtn.cat-it.co.nz before this change.

And you saw

7) kinit admin at WIN2012R2.ABARTLET.WGTN.CAT-IT.CO.NZ
    admin at WIN2012R2.ABARTLET.WGTN.CAT-IT.CO.NZ
OR was it
   admin at WIN2K12.ABARTLET.WGTN.CAT-IT.CO.NZ ?

In my case when I've changed the UPN from admin at 379135DOM.lab to admin at 5579135DOM.lab
So after this, I ran kinit admin at 5579135DOM.LAB. Here I got the error   "Unable to reach any kdc in realm 5579135DOM.LAB".

So I wonder why you didn't get the same error. Is it because you actually have both realms WIN2012R2.ABARTLET.WGTN.CAT-IT.CO.NZ  and WIN2K12.ABARTLET.WGTN.CAT-IT.CO.NZ setup ?

If yes, then why is this a surprising result for you ? Because when we are not doing canonicalization, we keep the name identical to what was supplied in the command i.e. admin.

Regards,
Sreekanth Nadendla
Microsoft Windows Open Specifications