[cifs-protocol] [REG:115012312316449] Re: Protocol changes in KB2992611 [115012312316449]

Edgar Olougouna edgaro at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 19 15:25:15 MST 2015

Andrew,
After tracking down the corresponding code fix applied in MS14-066 / KB2992611, we observe that this security update simply addresses a Schannel code vulnerability, and does not appear to introduce any protocol change.
It does trigger a local error when it detects the specific anomaly, i.e. during certificate signature verification check, but as such the same error was already returned in many other checks. If this occurs on a client, then the calling application will obviously bail out.
Regarding your observation: “It looks like it has gone from a soft to a hard error in the client code, essentially.”
We are concerned about what you meant by soft vs hard error. Can you elaborate in more details?
The Schannel / SSPI error code in question:
SEC_E_ILLEGAL_MESSAGE
0x80090326
The message received was unexpected or badly formatted.

Regards,
Edgar