[cifs-protocol] 114121712176508 MS-KILE Behaviour for client principal name in service tickets

Sreekanth Nadendla srenaden at microsoft.com
Tue Feb 17 10:10:27 MST 2015

Andrew, from the capture you have provided us (no-canon.enterprise.lc-realm.uc-user.krb5-realm.win2k.upn.pcap),

Client sent Cname = TESTALLOWED_UPN at w2k12.abartlet.wgtn.cat-it.co.nz and the actual submitted Realm from the network capture is WIN2012R2.ABARTLET.WGTN.CAT-IT.CO.NZ.  (It is not w2k12.abartlet.wgtn.cat-it.co.nz)

The client did not ask for canonicalization.
The KDC returned Cname TESTALLOWED_UPN at w2k12.abartlet.wgtn.cat-it.co.nz which is exactly what is sent
The KDC returned Crealm WIN2012R2.ABARTLET.WGTN.CAT-IT.CO.NZ as expected.

The realm is always normalized per RFC. It's just that if windows AD receives a mixed case realm name, then it will do a case insensitive comparision per MS-KILE 3.1.5.7 Internationalization and Case Sensitivity.

I do not see short-form domain being changed to a DNS-based realm. Please let me know if I am missing something.

Regards,
Sreekanth Nadendla
Microsoft Windows Open Specifications