[cifs-protocol] [REG:114082011718524] 114082011718524 NTLM username / password routing on member servers and on an AD DC

Obaid Farooqi obaidf at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 8 10:33:43 MDT 2014

Hi Andrew:
The answers to your questions is in MS-NRPC, specifically in sections "1.3.1 Pass-Through Authentication" and "1.3.2 Pass-Through Authentication and Domain Trusts".

I cannot advise you on how to implement this in your environment but I can tell you how Windows does it.

As far as how windows does it, here is what happens in windows:

1. first it is determined if the server (machine receiving the ntlm authenticate message) is a member of a domain or not. If the server is not a member of a domain, then SAM is tried right away.
2. If the server is a member of the domain, netlogon is the default method. But before shipping the logon request to DC, the server tries the SAM first and in case of a failure, sends the request to DC.

I did not see any difference in processing when the server is just a member server or DC (non GC).

I was not able to reproduce the situation in which a DC returns a non-authoritative response. I tried it in the situation where there is one root DC with two child DCs and a member server that is joined to one child domains. If you can please let me know a scenario where DC returns non-authoritative and I'll see what windows does.

I'll update you on the following question as I continue my investigation on rootDC:
1. does user have this SPN?

Regards,
Obaid Farooqi
Escalation Engineer | Microsoft

Exceeding your expectations is my highest priority.  If you would like to provide feedback on your case you may contact my manager at nkang at Microsoft dot com