[cifs-protocol] 114082011718524 NTLM username / password routing on member servers and on an AD DC

Sreekanth Nadendla srenaden at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 4 10:01:07 MDT 2014

Hello Andrew,
Domain Controller maintains the state of hasPartialReplicaNCs, msDS-HasInstantiatedNCs. When there are changes to be replicated, it can happen in the following two ways.

1) Scheduled Replication.
2) Event-Driven Replication.

From MS-ADTS 3.1.1.5.1.5
When an originating or replicated update occurs in the NC replica on the server, the server notifies each destination DC that has an entry in repsTo. The server notifies the destination DC by calling method IDL_DRSReplicaSync. The destination DC contacts the server and requests it to provide updates—this is event-driven replication as described in section 3.1.1.1.14.

For a description of what needs to happen to replicate changes from Samba DC side, please review MS-ADTS 3.1.1.1.14  "Scheduled and Event-Driven Replication".  Note the reference to MS-DRSR which provides protocol details on how to perform replication between domain controllers.

Some Helpful Resources

Replicas subtypes are defined in:
[MS-ADTS] 3.1.1.1.5 NC, NC Replica
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc223168.aspx

Some general use cases are described in:
[MS-ADOD] 2.7.5 Directory Replication
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh871845.aspx

Sreekanth Nadendla
Microsoft Windows Open Specifications