[cifs-protocol] [MS-ADTS] 3.1.1.5.3.7.3 Undelete Processing Specifics Clarification

Kamen Mazdrashki kamenim at samba.org
Thu Oct 30 21:08:14 MDT 2014

Dear Dochelp team,

I am currently working on Tombstone reanimation implementation in Samba
and I am having troubles to understand how objectCategory attribute should
be processed.

According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc223470.aspx
objectCategory attribute should be restored to its default value in case
it is *not* specified by the user. I guess this mean it is not specified in
the special ldap modify request.

I am testing against Windows Server 2008 R2 with Forest Functional level
"2008 R2"

   1. when objectCategory is not specified, everything is fine
   2. when objectCategory is specified though, I am always getting
   LDAP_UNWILLING_TO_PERFORM error. I have tried both to
   "reaplace" and "add" this attribute - same result. Please see attached
   ldif

My question is: how to specify this attribute so I am able to control the
value?

Best Regards,
Kamen Mazdrashki