[cifs-protocol] Where is account lockout and password expiry described in the docs?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Oct 24 15:50:50 MDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-10-25 at 09:26 +1300, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-10-24 at 20:16 +0000, Sebastian Canevari wrote:
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > Do you need further assistance from my end?
>
> I do.  I was waiting on:
>
> > > As soon as I have answers or questions I'll let you know.
> >
> > Thanks.  Please also include the details for how this happens in Kerberos, not just for NTLM, as I strongly suspect the semantics have subtle differences, particularly in forwarding.
>
> There is still no clear document explaining how this is handled for
> Kerberos, and nothing that clearly describes how a NetLogon SamLogon
> translates into a badPwdCount update.
>
> I was waiting for those docs before proceeding, to avoid rework.

I'm also wanting clarification on the UF_LOCKOUT flag in
msDS-User-Account-Control-Computed and userAccountControl

It appears that msDS-User-Account-Control-Computed should be referred to
by SAMR, as the source of the lockout algorithm, but there no reference
from MS-SAMR to this attribute.

Indeed, it is unclear how UF_LOCKOUT and UF_PASSWORD_EXPIRED is to
behave, as 3.1.1.6 (18) bans this bit, but in:

3.1.1.8.10
userAccountControl
1. If the UF_LOCKOUT bit (section 2.2.1.13) is set and the lockoutTime
attribute is nonzero, the
lockoutTime attribute MUST be updated to a value of zero.

This implies that it can be set in userAccountControl.  Also, the sense
here seems backwards, surely clearing the bit sets lockoutTime to zero?

Also it says:

2. The following bits, if set, MUST be unset before committing the
transaction: UF_LOCKOUT and
UF_PASSWORD_EXPIRED.

This further confuses me as to if these are computed or stored flags
(I'm assuming computed).

This is the kind of level of detail I need in this area.

Please clarify,

Samba Developer, Catalyst IT                   http://catalyst.net.nz