[cifs-protocol] [REG:113102210883291] - [MS-SMB2] 3.3.5.22.1 NT_STATUS_REQUEST_NOT_ACCEPTED?

Edgar Olougouna edgaro at microsoft.com
Wed Nov 13 21:49:11 MST 2013

Volker,

After further review, we will update MS-SMB2 to reflect the observed behavior.
Technically, we agree this is server bug and the product group will assess its impact and the need for a fix. If they choose to fix in a future product release, then the verbiage in the document will reflect the expected behavior. In any case, we will need to update the document.

The issue is that the client is attempting to acknowledge to oplock Level2 when NTFS is in Break-to-none. The fix would be for the SMB server to act the same way as it does with leases. The server would handle the fact that the current state of NTFS requires a lower break.
The server should "succeed" the Level2 ack and immediately send a break-to-none to the client (and then send an acknowledgement to the File System that it is at None). This coherent since a break to Level2 is async.
In the end, the server have acknowledged it is at None to the file system, it accepted the client's "ack to Level2", it sent a "break Level2 to None" for the client to process so the client arrives at None as well.

As such, MS-FSA 2.1.4.12 correctly documents the process the object store (i.e. NTFS + the oplock package) follows to break an oplock.  We believe MS-SMB2 would be the one requiring the update.

Reference:
MS-FSA 2.1.4.12   Algorithm to Check for an Oplock Break
MS-SNB2 3.3.5.22.1   Processing an Oplock Acknowledgment

Thanks,
Edgar