[cifs-protocol] [REG:113041210363439] RE: [MS-CIFS] Windows Note 246.

Sebastian Canevari Sebastian.Canevari at microsoft.com
Tue Apr 30 09:23:30 MDT 2013

Hi Chris,

Future versions of the document will look similar to this:

3.3.5.6   Receiving an SMB_COM_CREATE Request
If the Create operation fails, the server MUST return an error response with a Status code from the list provided in section 2.2.4.4.2. Otherwise, the server MUST allocate a new FID, format an SMB_COM_CREATE response message as defined in section 2.2.4.4.2, and set SMB_Header.Status to indicate success. Server.Statistics.sts0_fopens MUST be increased by 1, and an Open containing the new FID MUST be created, initialized, and entered into the Server.Connection.FileOpenTable.<246> If Server.EnableOplock is TRUE and a requested OpLock was granted, the type of OpLock MUST be set in Server.Open.OpLock and Server.Open.OplockState MUST be set to Held;
<246> Section 3.3.5.6: When opening, overwriting, deleting, or renaming a file, Windows NT Server checks for sharing violations. If a sharing violation would be generated by the operation, the server delays for 200 ms, as default sharing violation delay time, and then tests again for a sharing violation. The server retries five times as default, for a total delay of approximately one second, before giving up and returning the sharing violation error.
The sharing violation delay time and number of retires can be configured through the registry settings.
More details about these values modification can be found in the following KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/150384

Please let me know if this addresses your concern.

Thanks and regards,

Sebastian

Sebastian Canevari | Escalation Engineer | US-CSS Developer Support Core (DSC) Protocol Team
P +1 469 775 7849
One Microsoft Way, 98052, Redmond, WA, USA http://support.microsoft.com<http://support.microsoft.com/>