[cifs-protocol] nTDSDSA Object and serverreference attribute

Sebastian Canevari Sebastian.Canevari at microsoft.com
Thu Oct 25 10:25:40 MDT 2012

Hi Matt,

I have tested the population of the serverReference attribute in the NTDSSettings object and I've confirmed that it does not get populated by Windows.
Anyways, I've consulted with the PG and they confirmed my findings and pointed me to [MS-DRSR] 4.1.1.2.3  " CreateNtdsDsa" where the pseudo code states:

/* serverReference attribute is not updated here; instead, it is used
	* to find the computer object of the DC so that the replication SPN
	 * can be added to the DC's computer object. */
	sl := ENTINF_GetValue(e, serverReference, prefixTable)
	ENTINF_SetValue(e, serverReference, null, prefixTable) ...

In conclusion, the ServerReference attribute for nTDSDSA Object should not be updated at the NTDSSettings level but only at the server object level.

Thanks and regards,

Sebastian

Sebastian Canevari | Escalation Engineer | US-CSS Developer Support Core (DSC) Protocol Team
P +1 469 775 7849
One Microsoft Way, 98052, Redmond, WA, USA http://support.microsoft.com