[cifs-protocol] [MS-CIFS] Trans2FindFirst/FindNext

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 14:33:34 MDT 2012

Hi DocHelp people,

I a questions about windows client behavior involving SMB Transact2
FindFirst/FindNext,
as described in MS-CIFS 2.2.6.3.1.

We have a Windows 7 (x64) client that appears to be repeatedly
requesting a directory listing when Windows Explorer is asked to show
large directory on our server.  The directory has about 20,000
folders.

The only obvious difference we see when comparing with a Windows
server (2k8r2) is that we return the directory contents in the order
found on-disk (which is in general, not sorted).

I'd appreciate suggestions on how to track down what might be the
reason for the Windows client repeating the findfirst/findnext
requests as we observe.   Should we provide a TTT from the windows
client?

Thanks,
Gordon